Central Auckland Specialist School provides an itinerant Specialist Teacher Outreach Service (STOS) for the Central Auckland area. The Outreach service provides a 0.1 (half day) or 0.2 (full day) specialist teacher to support students enrolled in mainstream schools who receive Ongoing Resourcing Scheme (ORS) funding.
The Outreach team works in partnership with the wider team that supports the student: parents, whanau, classroom teachers, teacher aides, SENCOs, MOE therapists and other agencies. Our aim is to enhance learning, social, cultural and community outcomes for ORS students and promote engagement and participation in their class programmes. We have a highly experienced team of specialist teachers who work with the students on their caseload on a weekly basis, sharing their expertise and skills with their mainstream colleagues.
The Outreach teacher may be involved in a range of support activities, dependent on student need, such as:
- assessing a student’s learning needs
- collaborating to design programmes for a student
- support with planning, monitoring and recording for a student
- modelling different strategies for teachers and teacher aides
- assisting teachers to adapt / differentiate the curriculum
- supporting transitions
- liaison with MOE therapists
- contributing to a student’s Individual Education Plan